Friday, March 15, 2013

Foundation


From the Den looking in to the living room

I went out to the house on Thursday, March 14 to take pictures of the footers that were poured on Tuesday.  Much to my surprise, there was a crew laying block!  On dig day Jeff had said the footers were to be poured early this week and then, because of how they schedule and orchestrate crews with jobs happening locally, the foundation probably wouldn't be set until next week.  At the pace their going, and judging by what I saw at lunch time today, they will probably finish the block work today.  Take a look!

Today at noon, the block was only a course or two away from the top of the metal poles in the front of the house.  We're building a walk-out basement so, the block will stair-step with the grade of the lot as it moves toward the lake.  I guess that helps make this a relatively quick job.

I haven't heard from Jeff in a few days so, I'm not sure what's on deck for next week but, I would assume it's water proofing and then framing.  I could be missing a few steps.

Until next time...

Ciao!

8 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! We may be digging as early as Friday, so I am super stoked. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you or anyone have and issue with only using 3 inch slab of concrete for basement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and I'm very excited to follow it! We moved into our Jamestown in September 2012 and I'm curious to see all of your changes, especially with the master bedroom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @JJ - Did you dig on Friday? Let us know! It's so exciting!
    @jd1ezal - Do you mean for the footers? We have found that this is the industry standard. Obviously we won't really notice any problems for awhile.
    @Jenny Lupe - How do you find the size of rooms on the first floor? To be honest, the foundation looks a bit small lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the footprint does look small at first! It'll start looking much bigger once you start getting the frame and walls on the first floor, I promise! :) In terms of measurements, I asked Wayne Homes for a scanned copy of our building plans that we finalized during the pre-construction meeting, and I followed those very closely during the build. I think the rooms vary a little bit based on the elevation you choose (we chose Craftsman) but ours were pretty consistent with the measurements listed with the floorplan on the WH site: http://waynehomes.com/plan/jamestown

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not the footers but the basement floor. WH standard is 3 inches concrete but from people I have spoke to most say 4 inch is what should be used to keep from cracking and such.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We dug a little over a week ago and things are going great! Check it out.

    http://waynehomesinpa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks great! Congratulations and good luck!

      Delete